This scan from a book publication by Dan Sprod answers the description of a Thomas Nevin stereograph of a group at the Franklin Museum, Ancanthe (known later as Lady Franklin’s Museum), Kangaroo Valley, listed at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery. The Nevin farm and orchards adjoined the museum which housed a library and natural specimens in the 1850s when Thomas Nevin’s father John Nevin built their cottage further up the hill. Close by were the schoolhouse and Wesleyan Chapel.
TMAG Catalogue (text database):
ITEM NAME: Photograph:
MEDIUM: sepia salt paper stereoscope,
MAKER: T Nevin [Artist];
TITLE: ‘Lady Franklin’s Museum, Kangaroo Valley’
DESCRIPTION : Group of people at Lady Franklin’s Museum, Kangaroo Valley
INSCRIPTIONS & MARKS: On back in pencil: Mrs A Pedder / and in different hand Lady Franklin’s Museum/ KangarooValley and in different hand again best picture.
Victorian and Edwardian Hobart from old photographs / [compiled by] Dan Sprod.
Publisher: St. Ives, N.S.W. : John Ferguson, 1977.
Description: 1 vol.
ISBN: 0909134065 :
Notes: Hobart. Social life, 1850-1910. Illustrations (ANB/PRECIS SIN 0152382)
Subjects: Hobart (Tas.)–History–Pictorial works.
Hobart (Tas.)–Social life and customs–Pictorial works.
Other Authors: Sprod, Dan, 1924-, comp.
Bib ID: 2222496