J.J. Crew 1874 SLV Collection “The Quay, Hobart Town from a photograph”
Photographer Thomas J. Nevin’s father-in-law was Captain James Day (1806-1882), father of his wife Elizabeth Rachel Day and her younger sister Mary Sophia Day who married Captain Hector Axup (1843-1927) in 1878. Thomas Nevin’s wife Elizabeth Rachel Day was named after Captain James Day’s sister, Elizabeth Day, who had married master mariner Captain Edward Goldsmith (1806-1869) in 1829 at St George, Liverpool, England.
In the week of James Day’s passing, Nevin’s brother-in-law and James Day’s son-in-law, Captain Hector Axup, placed this short obituary in the Tasmanian newspaper The Mercury, 21 November 1882:
DAY.- At his son-law’s residence, H.C. Axup, Sloane -street, Battery Point, in the 78th year of his age, Captain James Day, for many years master mariner of this port, and brother-in-law of the late Captain Goldsmith.
Hector C. Axup ca. 1880s. Unattributed
Photo courtesy Suzy Baldwin 2007.
At the time of James Day’s death, Hector Axup was chief officer of the barque Natal Queen:
The Mercury 11 December 1882:
Hector Axup, longwhile chief officer of the Acacia, “appointed to a similar position in the barque Natal Queen.”
Above and below: the barque Natal Queen ca.1890
State Library of Tasmania
Built at Grangemouth in 1866 ; registered in Hobart 1873 ; wrecked in Adventure Bay 1909
Photographer: Williamson, William, 1861-1926
Ref: AUTAS001126071323; AUTAS001126071315
Captain Hector Charles Horatio Axup – harbour pilot and leading tower assistant at George Town, Tasmania – had married Captain James Day’s younger daughter Mary Sophia Day (1853-1941) in May 1878 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Kangaroo Valley (Hobart) where the Nevin family resided. Captain James Day’s elder daughter, Elizabeth Rachel Day (1847-1914) – namesake of his sister – married Thomas J. Nevin at the same chapel in July 1871.
Captain Edward Goldsmith was a signed witness to the marriage of his brother-in-law Captain James Day to Rachel Pocock – parents of Elizabeth Rachel (b.1847) and Mary Sophia (b.1853) – at St David’s Church Hobart on January 6,1841:
St David’s Hobarton
6th January 1841
James Day, 34yrs, Master Mariner
Rachel Pocock, 29 years, Spinster
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Uniting Church of England and Ireland, William Bedford, Senior Chaplain,
In the presence of Edward Goldsmith and Margaret Fuller
Below: signature of Edward Goldsmith, 1841 on this certificate.
Captain James Day was born in 1806, went to sea in 1819, was Master of the Highlander and the Lady Palmerston in 1853-55, settled in Hobart in 1854 (Liverpool St), and served as Navigator and First Mate on whalers and merchant ships including the Pryde and Star. In 1875 when he re-applied in Hobart for his Master’s Certificate of Serice, he gave his son-in-law’s photographic studio address, 140 Elizabeth St. Hobarton, as his residence. Two documents giving these details are held at the State Library of Tasmania:
Captain James Day, Master, Certificate of Service and Testimonial
TAHO Card Index. Photos © KLW NFC 2013 ARR
The Lady Palmerston, Captain James Day, master
TAHO Ref: PH301912 Beattie
Captain and “Mrs Captain Goldsmith”
Captain James Day’s sister, Elizabeth Day – “spinster of Liverpool”- married the illustrious Captain Edward Goldsmith -“Master Mariner Batchelor of Rotherhithe ” on 24 Jun 1829 St George, Derby Square, Liverpool, Lancashire, England. Captain James Day was Thomas Nevin’s father-in-law,Captain Edward Goldsmith his uncle-in-law and Captain Hector Charles Axup his brother-in-law. There was no shortage of master mariners in the Nevin-Day-Goldsmith clan.
Edward Goldsmith-Elizabeth Day marriage 24 June 1829
Source: Marriages at St George Derby Square in the City of Liverpool
Marriages recorded in the Register for the years 1813 – 1837
Their son Richard Sydney Goldsmith – cousin to the Nevins – was born on 19 May 1830 at Perth, Western Australia, ten days after their arrival on the James and christened at St. Philips, Sydney NSW on 11 November 1830. Richard died from fever aged 25 yrs on 15 August, 1854 at his father’s house in Davey-street, Hobart. He was a cashier at the Union Bank, Hobart, at the time of death.
Richard Sydney Goldsmith birth record (1830-1854)
Source: NSW Registry of BDM
Richard Sydney Goldsmith (1830-1854)
Obituary, The Courier Hobart 5 August 1854
Soon after the birth of Richard, his parents departed for London. This notice appeared in the Sydney Gazette, 26 April 1831:
Sydney Gazette, 26 April 1831.
For London, on Sunday last, the brig Norval, Captain Goldsmith, with a cargo of Colonial produce. Passengers, Mrs Goldsmith and child; and Mr. J. Wigley, and 2 children.
How many trips did Mrs Elizabeth Goldsmith (nee Day), wife of Captain Edward Goldsmith, actually take alongside her husband on his twice yearly trips back and forth from Hobart to London dating from the year of their marriage June 1829? She appears on several passenger lists, sometimes with children, sometimes alone, and usually with her husband at the helm. It also appears that she went shopping in London for fashions to be sent as cargo to the merchants of Hobart, viz. this shipment of bonnets in 1839:
The deference to women of status in 1830s Tasmania dictated that Captain Goldsmith’s wife, Elizabeth Goldsmith nee Day, be spoken of only as “Mrs Captain Goldsmith”, as John Johnson wrote in this advertisement for his sale of bonnets, The Mercury October 11, 1839:
The undersigned has now ready for Sale, an assortment of Dunstable, Tuscan, and fancy Silk Bonnets
THE GIRL’S and LADIES’ Silk Bonnets were selected under the immediate superintendence of Mrs. Captain Goldsmith, shortly before the Wave left England. A Guarantee of the latest and newest fashion! John Johnson, 59, Liverpool-street, Oct. 11, 1839.
The ladies of Hobart Town were wearing these styles ca. 1838 -
Creator: Bock, Thomas, 1793-1855
Source: Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts
Note: DUNSTABLE BONNET, THE. English, Jig. G Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The melody is unique to London publishers Charles and Samuel Thompson’s 1765 country dance collection. The first straw bonnet was said to have been made in Dunstable, a market town in Bedfordshire, England, which in any case became associated in the 18th century with finely made straw bonnets. Source:http://tunearch.org/wiki/Dunstable_Bonnet_(The)Source for notated version:Printed sources: Thompson (Compleat Collection of 200 Favourite Country Dances, vol. 2), 1765; No. 157.
CAPTAIN EDWARD GOLDSMITH was a master mariner responsible for the conveyance of general cargo, merchandise, colonial produce and passengers back and forth to London and Hobart from the early 1830s, sometimes making two round trips per year. He was a Director of the Hobart Town and Launceston Marine Insurance Company, established in 1836, and notably for Tasmanians, the builder of the twin steam ship Kangaroo in 1854, operating from McGregor’s Patent Slip at the Queen’s Domain Hobart.
Colonial Times, Hobart, 8 June 1855
CAPTAIN GOLDSMITH and the SS KANGAROO
This ferry carrying horse and carriage was most likely the Kangaroo, an early photo , unattributed, held at the University of Tasmania Special Collections.
Captain E. Hooper, the Second Mate of the SS Kangaroo
Source:Tasmanian Heritage and Archive Office
Photo of the Kangaroo by James Chandler,whose aunt Martha Genge became Thomas Nevin’s father John Nevin’s second wife in 1879. Martha Genge’s sister was Mary Chandler nee Genge, James Chandler’s mother. See this entry for James Chandler’s photo of his mother and aunt taken ca. 1920.
SS Kangaroo, ca. 1900 W. J. Little, Photo
TAHO Archives Tasmania
In this article published in The Mercury 23 June 1882, the writer describes the plant for a slip imported and built with prison labour in the early 1850s by Captain Goldsmith: the intention was to build a huge floating bridge between Hobart and Kangaroo Point (Bellerive):
The Kangaroo and Captain Goldsmith were mentioned again in this excerpt from the Shipping News, Launceston Examiner, 21 January 1886:
The Launceston Examiner 21 January 1886
The twin steamer Kangaroo was built in the year 1854 under the immediate supevision of the late Governor Sir William Denison, R.E. by the late Captain Goldsmith, formerly of the London traders Waverley and John Izat, at the Imperial expenditure , regardless of cost…etc etc
More about (the late) Captain Goldsmith and the Kangaroo appeared in this article titled SHIPBUILDING IN TASMANIA, published in The Mercury 23 June 1882. Read the article here at this link.
The Famous Twins or SS Kangaroo ca. 1900, built by Captain Edward Goldsmith in 1855, for the Hobart-Bellerive service
Source: Pictorial Portrayal of Tasmania’s Past, Beatties Studios, Winnings Newsagency 2011.
Photo © copyright KLW NFC Imprint 2014
Sailors 1861 by Davies & Co,
State Library of Victoria Ref: a14946
ARRIVALS and DEPARTURES of Captain Edward GOLDSMITH and family
The following are records of his passages sourced from Port Officers’ Logs, eg. MB2/39/1/1 P443 held as archival records in the State Library Tasmania; NSW State Records (Reels 1271/1272); and newspaper Shipping notices. The information here is incomplete.
Voyage to Western Australia on the James, shipwrecked at the Swan River 21 May 1830, after a nightmarish journey via Brazil. Elizabeth Goldsmith gave birth to their son Richard Sydney Goldsmith on the 20 May. A major investigation into the journey and wreck was conducted by the Colonial Office. Captain Goldsmith left the Swan River on board the Bombay, arriving in Hobart in late July, departing to Sydney on the Elizabeth. More detail to come of the James(1830) in a future post.
Master of the wreck, James, Captain Edward Goldsmith.
Departed Goldsmith Child Passenger on the Elizabeth 15 Aug 1830 Hobart to Port Jackson
Ship to colony Bombay Child of Captain and Mrs CUS33/1/1 p258
Departed Goldsmith Mrs Passenger on the Elizabeth 15 Aug 1830 Hobart to Port Jackson
Ship to colony Bombay CUS33/1/1 p258
Departed Goldsmith Captain Passenger on the Bombay 22 Aug 1830 Hobart to Sydney CUS33/1/1 p253
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Waterloo 5 Aug 1832 MB2/39/1/1 P276
Departed Hobart Goldsmith E Master Waterloo 15 Aug 1832 Hobart to Sydney CUS33/1/1 p474
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Wave 14 Nov 1833 MB2/39/1/1 P443
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Wave 9 Mar 1835 MB2/39/1/2 P245
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master Wave 6 Dec 1836 MB2/39/1/3 P73
Arrived in Hobart from Portsmouth on the barque The Wave 17 July 1838
Goldsmith Ship’s Master Wave 17 July 1838 MB2/39/1/4 P100
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Wave 25 Sep 1839 MB2/39/1/4 P351
Arrived in Hobart from London, Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Janet Izzatt 26 Oct 1842 MB2/39/1/6 P355
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Janet Izzatt 16 Dec 1843 MB2/39/1/7 P313
Arrived Goldsmith Capt on the Louisa 13 Dec 1844 CSO92/1/13 P110
Arrived in Sydney from Hobart Town on the Louisa, 1st January 1845
Arrived in Sydney from London and Cape of Good Hope, 12 December 1845
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Mr Rattler 11 Nov 1846 CSO92/1/16 P96
Goldsmith Ship’s Master Rattler 12 Nov 1846 MB2/39/1/9 P45
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Rattler 11 Nov 1847 MB2/39/1/9 P374
While in Hobart, Captain Goldsmith of the Rattler was a Committee member at the 10th Anniversary of the Hobart Regatta, December 1, 1847. This beautifully printed program on silk is featured on TAHO’s Flickr account:
Arrived in Hobart Goldsmith Ship’s Master on the Rattler 5 Dec 1848 MB2/39/1/10 P374
Arrived in Hobart from London on the Rattler, 27 November 1849 Goldsmith Ship’s Master
Rattler 27 Nov 1849 MB2/39/1/11 P381
Arrived Goldsmith Mrs on the Rattler from London 27 Nov 1849 MB2/39/1/11 P381
Examples of Port Officers’ Forms: Series MB2/39 (TAHO) documenting Captain Goldsmith:
Captain Goldsmith, arrival of The Wave 17 July 1838
Captain Goldsmith, arrival of The Wave, 23 September 1839
Arrival of the Rattler, Captain Goldsmith 27 November 1849
State Library of Tasmania