Ennis (2000) and Crombie (2004) publications … Click on image for large readable version Isobel Crombie’s Body Culture: Max Dupain, Photography and Australian Culture, 1919-1939, published by the National Gallery of Victoria (2004) includes this Thomas J. Nevin photograph of a Tasmanian prisoner, dated 1874 with the A. H .Boyd misattribution on page 39. In … More How misattribution can persist
Visual pleasures for the newly-weds Thomas and Elizabeth Nevin in 1871 were presented at the Hobart Town Hall in the form of panoramas and dioramas. Charles’s panorama (1871) occupied 10,000 square feet of canvas, and each painting was 17 feet by 8 feet. … More Visual pleasures 15 July 1871: the Dioramas
Tasmanian photographer Thomas Nevin (1842-1923).
Self-portrait ca. 1871. This is one of five extant photographs of Thomas J. Nevin held in family collections. … More Thomas Nevin, self-portrait ca. 1871
The database image with verso at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery: note that the verso is inscribed with the conventional date of Nevin’s photographic registration (1874), the alias, and the ship on which Nutt was originally transported before 1853, but the transcription which appears on many other versos of convicts’ cartes – “Taken at Port Arthur” – is absent. Nevin may have photographed Nutt at Port Arthur between 23rd February and 8th May 1874; the former date being another sentence for Nutt for breaking the cell while trying to escape, the latter being one of the dates on which Nevin attended Port Arthur on police business. He was absent from Hobart when his father-in-law Captain James Day registered the birth of Thomas James Nevin jnr in May 1874. … More Convict Carte No. 1: George WHITE aka NUTT
“AUGUSTA (Co. Buckingham) is a postal village and residential suburb of Hobart Town, in the police district of Hobart, and electoral district of Glenorchy. It is situate on the main road from Hobart Town to Launceston, about 2 miles from the former place, and on the New Town Rivulet, which empties itself in to the Derwent, near Risdon. A portion of Mount Wellington overlooks the district. There are no mills or manufactories in Augusta at present, except a pottery. The surrounding district is agricultural to a large extent. There are several coal seams in the district; two or three are being worked, and produce very good domestic fuel. The communication with Hobart Town is by ‘busses and other conveyances which run hourly. The city of Hobart Town adjoins Augusta N.W. There is one hotel in the village, the Harvest Home. The surrounding country is undulating and hilly. The population numbers about 300 persons. There are places of worship as follows: Church of England, Church of Rome, and Wesleyan Church…” … More The Kangaroo Valley house & New Town stereographs ca. 1868
Clifford & Nevin appears as a handwritten inscription on the versos of several studio portraits in public and private collections, but their collaboration was principally in stereography, especially in the late 1860s. Several stereographs held at the State Library of Tasmania, collated in “The Clifford Album”, whether unattributed or which bear Clifford’s stamp may be original photographs by Nevin produced during their partnership.
The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery holds a sizeable collection of Thomas Nevin’s stereographs dating from 1868. Nevin exhibited at the Wellington Park Exhibition in 1868, and at the Hobart Town Hall Bazaar in 1872. This stereograph titled Hobart from Lime Kiln Hill looking down Harrington Street carries his New Town studio stamp on verso, taken in the mid to late 1860s. … More Hobart Town from Lime Kiln Hill
These are some of the original documents and press release prepared for the 1977 exhibition of commercial and police photographer T. J. Nevin’s prisoner mugshots at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Tasmania, catalogued as “Convict portraits, Port Arthur 1874” in public collections. … More The QVMAG Exhibition 1977 of convict photographs
The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery holds several stereographs on salt paper by Thomas J. Nevin taken in the late 1860s – ca 1870. These six were online in 2006: Series Q1994.56 from The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery Collection This is a selection of the better reproductions from the TMAG collection. Some of the … More Thomas Nevin’s salt paper stereos at the TMAG
A significant issue of attribution arises around questions of authorship when two cartes of Tasmanian Premier Sir Richard Dry are compared: one at the State Library of Tasmania is attributed to J.W. Beattie, although his authorship of the original image is impossible in chronological terms; the other at the University of Tasmania is a commercial … More Authorship of Tasmanian Premiers
When commercial photographer and government contractor Thomas J. Nevin (1842-1923) married Elizabeth Rachel Day (1847-1914) on July 12, 1871 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Kangaroo Valley (now Lenah Valley), Hobart, Tasmania, his “rank” – indicating occupation, profession and social status – was “photographer”. By 1871 he was working on commission to provide the Lands and Service Department with photographs of changes and damage to landscapes and buildings. For his bride, however, no ranking applied. Elizabeth Rachel Day’s “rank” is just a dash. … More Thomas Nevin’s Rank 1871
Examples of Thomas Nevin’s handwriting can assist in identifying inscriptions on the versos of so many unattributed photographs of the period in public holdings. The handwritten inscription – “Clifford & Nevin, Hobart Town” – which appears on several studio portraits in private and public collections, may be one source of either Nevin’s or Clifford’s calligraphy. … More Signatures and handwriting 1870s