When commercial photographer and government contractor Thomas J. Nevin (1842-1923) married Elizabeth Rachel Day (1847-1914) on July 12, 1871 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Kangaroo Valley (now Lenah Valley), Hobart, Tasmania, his “rank” – indicating occupation, profession and social status – was “photographer”. By 1871 he was working on commission to provide the Lands and Service Department with photographs of changes and damage to landscapes and buildings.
Detail of Thomas and Elizabeth Nevin’s marriage certificate, July 12, 1871.
Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration, 1803-1933,
RGD 37/30. Marriages, 1871 (to no 571)
Archives Office of Tasmania, Hobart.
Thomas and Elizabeth Nevin’s wedding portrait, July 12, 1871
Taken at Nevins’ studio, The City Photographic Establishment, 140 Elizabeth St. Hobart Town. Verso blank.
Copyright © KLW NFC Private Collection 2005 ARR. Watermarked.
For his bride, however, no ranking applied. Elizabeth Rachel Day’s “rank” is just a dash. Her “description” was “Spinster”. Whether the handwritten signatures were those of the participants and witnesses is open to question.
Detail of form (above and below):
The form appears filled out by the one person after the event. Elizabeth Rachel Day’s sister Mary Sophia Day, was a witness, as was the licensee of the Black Prince Hotel, William Hanson. The Black Prince was located at the corner of Elizabeth and Melville Streets, on the opposite side and further down from Thomas J. Nevin’s studio at 140 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. William Hanson advertised new and second-hand furniture from the same premises in Walch’s Tasmanian Almanac in 1864.
William Hanson’s advertisement in Walch’s Tasmanian Almanac 1864