NLA Catalogue (incorrect information)
Title James Harper, per S.R. [i.e. Sir Robert] Peel, taken at Port Arthur, 1874 [picture]
Extent1 photograph on carte-de-visite mount : albumen ; 9.4 x 5.6 cm.
James Harper was convicted in 1871, discharged 3 July 1872
James Harper was convicted and removed to Port Arthur, when he was again convicted for throwing a bucket at a warder, per this report, 1873:
“LIKE OLIVER TWIST”
A. Dangerous Character-A prisoner under going a sentence in H M Gaol was brought before the Police Magistrate yesterday for committing an assault on one of the warders of the establishment It appeared that the man, whose name is James Harper, of a remarkably villanous countenance was like “Oliver Twist, the workhouse boy, and wanted more breakfast, after consuming his legal allowance of “skilley”, and because the warder refused this most unreasonable request, he took up a zinc bucket containing about two gallons of the coveted “skilley, ” and sent bucket and all flying at the warder s head The warder was fortunately quick enough to dodge the missile, which went smash up against the opposite wall of the wardroom, and the force was sufficient to crush up the bucket, During the time the warder was giving his evidence the man was gibing and laughing, seemingly enjoying the fun, and the alarm he had evidently caused to the warder. Mr Tarleton remarked that the man had been up repeatedly for the same or like offences, and was evidently a dangerous character, who, if not looked after, would end by committing murder. To keep down his violent tendencies the magistrate extended his existing sentence for twelve months and would recommend his removal to Port Arthur.
Source:THE MERCURY. (1873, August 15). The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 – 1954), p. 2. Retrieved August 29, 2014, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8918781
It was not long before James Harper was returned to the Hobart Gaol, where he was photographed by Thomas J. Nevin, on arrival, 5th August 1875.
“Transferred to House of Corrections Hobart Town 5th August 1875“
TAHO Ref: CON94-1-2_00007_S