MARY ANN NEVIN (1844-1878)
Brothers Thomas James and Jack (William John) Nevin arrived in Tasmania in 1852 as children with parents Mary and John Nevin, and two sisters, Mary Ann and Rebecca Jane. The family settled at Kangaroo Valley (now Lenah Valley) near the Lady Franklin Museum. Neither sister lived to see the 20th century. For a fuller biography, see this article.
Mary Ann Nevin (1844-1878), sister of Thomas J. Nevin,
dipping a glass at New Town rivulet, Kangaroo Valley Hobart Tasmania
Salt paper stereograph taken by Thomas J. Nevin ca. 1870
Photo © KLW NFC Imprint Private Collection 2012
Stereograph of Mary Ann Nevin by her brother Thomas J. Nevin ca. 1870 taken at Kangaroo Valley near the school in the company of an adult male and children. TMAG Collection Ref: Q16826-1-2
THE LADY FRANKLIN MUSEUM IN 1871
From Walch’s Tasmanian Guide 1871
Copyright © KLW NFC Imprint 2012
Stereograph ca, 1870 by Thomas Nevin of a group visiting Lady Franklin’s Museum, Ancanthe, Kangaroo Valley, Tasmania. TMAG Ref: Q1994-56-34.
THE NEW TOWN RIVULET TODAY
The bridge in the foreground crosses the rivulet. The Lady Franklin Museum sits below the site where John Nevin built his cottage (now demolished), next to the house (pictured) above on the rise at 270A Lenah Valley Rd.
Photos © KLW NFC Imprint 2012 ARR
Thomas J. Nevin’s carte-de-visite of of his sister Mary Ann, bears slight tinting of the cheeks.
Thomas Nevin’s portrait of his sister ca. 1873
Mary Ann Nevin (1844-1878)
Copyright © KLW NFC Collection 2005 ARR. Watermarked.
Carte-de-visite format pasted on cardboard. Verso bears Thomas Nevin’s studio stamp, “T. Nevin, City Photographic Establishment, 140, Elizabeth Street, Hobart Town”.