CAPTAIN EDWARD GOLDSMITH (1804-1869) was the uncle of photographer Thomas J.Nevin’s wife, Elizabeth Rachel Day (1847-1914). Her aunt and namesake, Elizabeth Day, sister of her father Captain James Day, married Edward Goldsmith, master mariner of Rotherhithe, at Liverpool in 1829. Captain Goldsmith’s illustrious career as Master and Commander of the great merchant ships spanned twenty years and almost without incident (the tragic voyage and wreck of the James 1830 to the Swan River W.A. is one documented exception), from his first command to VDL in 1831 on the Norval to the sale of his favorite barque, the Rattler, in 1852, the year Thomas James Nevin arrived in Hobart as a ten year old child with parents John and Mary Nevin, and siblings Rebecca Jane, Mary Ann and Jack (William John). Captain Goldsmith was a signatory witness at the marriage of Rachel Pocock to his brother-in-law and sometime navigator, Captain James Day, parents of Elizabeth Rachel Nevin nee Day and Mary Sophia Axup nee Day, at St David’s Church Hobart on January 6th, 1841.
Signature of Captain Edward Goldsmith 1841, on marriage certificate of James Day
Renewal of Certificate, Second Class, for Captain Edward Goldsmith (born 1804, Chalk, Kent) per the Rattler.
Source: London Gazette, 1848, p. 2912
The “Rattler” was Captain Edward Goldsmith’s finest barque. From her maiden voyage from the Downs (England) to Hobart in 1846, he returned every year on this vessel: 1847, 1848, 1849. Every sojourn in Hobart was to unload imported goods and passengers, load local produce, and advertise for more passengers. The Hobart Courier ran advertisements in every week before departure for Port Jackson (Sydney, NSW), informing prospective passengers of the comfortable, even luxurious cabin accommodation.
The Hobart Courier 5 December 1846
For London To Sail in Early January
The new and remarkably fast-sailing barque RATTLER
552 Tons Register, EDWARD GOLDSMITH Commander, having a considerable portion of her cargo engaged will be despatched early in January. This ship has magnificent accommodation for cabin passengers, and the ‘tween-decks being exceedingly lofty, she offers an excellent opportunity for a limited number of steerage passengers.
A plan of the cabin may be seen, and rate of freight and passage learnt, by application to Captain Goldsmith on board, or to
THOS. D. CHAPMAN & Co. Macquarie-street, Nov. 17.
A week earlier, a journalist praised the Rattler but seemed eager to inform his readers that newspapers arriving via India provided more recent news:
The Hobart Courier 14 November 1846
The ” RATTLER” – This fine barque, new off the stocks, Captain Goldsmith, (formerly of the Wave,) arrived on Wednesday, having made her maiden passage from the Downs in 110 days. She has brought despatches for the Lieutenant-Governor, and a considerable mail with papers to the 24th July. These, however, have lost much of their interest from the later intelligence we are enabled to lay before our readers via India. The Rattler has a general cargo, and brought out as passenger Mr Spode, son of Josiah Spode, Esq …
These Port Officers’ Logs list Goldsmith, Master on the Rattler’s arrivals in Hobart:
1846 and 1847
1848 and 1849
THE SILVER GOBLET
Testimonial to Captain Goldsmith
The Hobart Courier 20 January 1849
TESTIMONIAL TO CAPTAIN GOLDSMITH.-A handsome twelve-ounce silver goblet was presented to Captain Goldsmith on Wednesday, last, as a testimonial in acknowledgment of the services he has rendered to floral and horticultural science in Van Diemen’s Land, by importing rare and valuable plants from England. The expenses incurred were defrayed by private subscription. The testimonial was presented by W. Carter, Esq., in the name of the subscribers, who observed that he had hoped the task would have been committed to abler hands. Mr. Macdowell, who was engaged in Court, he said, had been first deputed to present the testimonial, as being a private friend of Captain Goldsmith. A token twenty times the value would no doubt have been obtained had the subscribers publicly announced their intention.
-Upon receiving the cup, Capt. Goldsmith remarked that he would retain the token until death ; and, with reference to some observations made by Mr. Carter, intimated it was not improbable he should next year, by settling in Van Diemen’s Land with Mrs. Goldsmith, become a fellow-colonist
-The goblet, which was manufactured by Mr. C. Jones, of Liverpool-street, bears the following inscription:-“Presented to Captain Goldsmith, of the ship Rattler, as a slight testimonial for having introduced many rare and valuable plants into Van Diemen’s Land. January, 1849.” The body has a surrounding circlet of vine leaves in relief. The inscription occupies the place of quarterings in a shield supported the emu and kangaroo in bas relief, surmounting a riband scroll with the Tasmanian motto-” Sic fortis Hobartia crevit.” The foot has a richly chased border of fruit and flowers. In the manufacture of this cup, for the first time in this colony, the inside has undergone the process of gilding. As heretofore silver vessels of British manufacture have taken the lead in the market through being so gilt, it is satisfactory to find that the process is practically understood in the colony, and that articles of superior workmanship can be obtained with out importation.
Testimonial to Captain Goldsmith
The Courier Hobart Tasmania 20 January 1849
NB: Captain Goldsmith’s goblet dated 1849 and manufactured by Charles Jones is yet to surface, if extant at all. In all likelihood, it passed down to his son by the same name, Edward Goldsmith jnr, married to Sarah Jane Goldsmith nee Rivers at Rochester, July 1870, and remains in the UK, whereabouts as yet unknown.
On receiving the goblet, Captain Goldsmith remarked that he would guard it to his death, which occurred on 2 July, 1869, at Gadshill Cottage, Higham, Kent UK. According to Cecil Fielding, writing in 1882 about Higham, Gadshill Cottage was the villa opposite the Sir John Falstaff Inn on the corner of Telegraph Hill and the Gravesend Road, and home of the highwayman who robbed Falstaff, but it is also the same location as the villa known as Higham Lodge. If Captain Goldsmith returned to Tasmania as a colonist, intimated in his speech, no records of his residence in Hobart extend beyond his occupation of his house at 19 Davey Street in 1854 or lodgings at Broadland House up to the eve of his permanent departure in February 1856. He retired to Gadshill, Higham in Kent, to manage his extensive real estate holdings there (50 cottages, houses, orchards and gardens, including Gadshill House according to his will), soon after selling up his interest in the patent slip and shipyard on the Queen’s Domain Hobart to Alexander McGregor. (Ref: National Archives UK C16/781 C546012). At the time of the 1861 UK Census, Captain Edward Goldsmith was listed as master mariner, age 56, retired, resident of Higham Lodge, together with his wife Elizabeth, age 54, and servant Louisa Eatten, age 21, presumably resident there while renovations were made at Gads Hill House at the top of Telegraph Hill. Higham Lodge still stands, located across the laneway from the Falstaff Inn and opposite Charles Dickens’ house at 6 Gadshill Place, now a school:
Captain Goldsmith, Elizabeth Goldsmith, 1861 Census, at Higham Lodge.
Higham Lodge, foreground, Falstaff Inn on right in distance
The sign for Gadshill Place, Dickens’ former home and now a school is opposite
Google maps 2013
THE TASMANIAN MOTTO inscribed on Captain Goldsmith’s goblet dates from 1804, seen here on the wallpaper in the Hobart Town Hall upper chamber, and on the window at the main staircase landing.
“Sic fortis Hobartia crevit”
Wallpaper with motto of the Hobart City Council Hobart Town Hall
Photo © KLW NFC 2012 ARR
“Sic fortis Hobartia crevit” 1804
Window with motto of the Hobart City Council Hobart Town Hall
Photo © KLW NFC 2012 ARR
Charles JONES (1809-1864)
Notes compiled from various sources
Prior to transportation to Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania), Charles Jones was a Birmingham-trained silversmith. Jones and his partner Edward Thomason were listed as jewellers and silver workers in The Law Advertiser, Vol.2, No.11 of Thursday, 11th March, 1824: Partnerships Dissolved. Charles Jones had two marks entered at the Birmingham Assay Office, the first as Charles Jones. Silversmith of toy shop, 6th October 1824; and Charles Jones, Silversmith & toy warehouse (Pantechnetheca), 20th July 1828.
However, Charles Jones was tried and sentenced to transportation for seven years in Worcester in July 1832 (CON31/1/24) arriving in Hobart aboard the Georgiana as a convict in February 1833.
Conduct record of Charles Jones in Hobart from 1833-38
Archives Office of Tasmania
Although this record does not name the offence for which Charles Jones was transported, the record does read like a litany of abuse from his master, the Hobart watchmaker and merchant David Barclay (1804–84), within weeks of arriving in Hobart. For misdemeanours such as drunkenness, going AWOL, galloping about the streets, assaulting a man in a wine cellar, and possessing jewellery, Charles Jones received punishments that included 25 to 50 lashes, 3 days confined in a cell, 12 months hard labour in chains confined to the hulk in New Town Bay, 4 hours in the stocks etc etc. He also asserted in Court that Barclay had perjured himself, for which he earned 7 days on bread and water, so Charles Jones’ six years indentured to Barclay was no nurturing or benevolent mentorship.
Physical description of Charles Jones, Labourer and Jeweller
Archives Office Tasmania: this record shows he was 23 years old in 1832-3.
Charles Jones was one of a number of convict silversmiths assigned to the Hobart watchmaker and merchant David Barclay (1804–84), until granted a Certificate of Freedom in 1839. He then set up business on his own account at 16 Elizabeth-street, Hobart Town, making jewellery as well as plate. In addition to the Champion cup of the same date, held in the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery collection, Jones is recorded to have made commemorative silver medals and cups for the Hobart Town Regatta, the Royal Society of Tasmania and the Society for the Encouragement of Colonial Arts.
National Gallery of Australia
Portrait of Mr David Barclay c.1849
Title Notes: in original gilt frame
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Painting, oil on canvas
by Thomas BOCK
Sutton Coldfield, England 1790 – Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 1855
Movements: Australia from 1824
75.4 h x 64.2 w cm
Accession No: NGA 2009.560
Like Barclay, Jones stamped some of his work with hallmarks, notably the anchor, the mark for Birmingham, and presumably the last guild of which he was a member before leaving Britain. Jones was active in local theatrical circles and continued these interests when he migrated with his wife Mary (nee Thompson) to Sydney in 1858.
Extant examples of his production of silver goblets similar to the one presented to Captain Goldsmith are ‘The Champion Cup’ and ‘The Good Samaritan Cup’ held at The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart. A third example from a private collection of the descendants of James Grant was recently displayed at Sotheby’s.
DESCRIPTION: The James Grant Cup 1849
The cup is modelled in the form of an urn, the shallow domed lid with applied cast kangaroo finial with leaf surround and bearing the inscription, ‘Presented to /JAMES GRANT ESQ/ TULLOCHGORUM/ By the inhabitants of the Fingal District/ For his energy in accomplishing the Road from Avoca to Falmouth V.D.Land /1849’, the trumpet shaped bowl has an applied Coat of Arms, a shield with three crowns, supported by two Tasmanian aboriginal figures standing on a bough engraved ‘STAND FAST’, the bowl rests in an acanthus leaf cup with punched and engraved decoration, the stem comprises four inverted scrolled acanthus leaves to a shallow domed circular base with punched and engraved foliate border, struck with an anchor, lion passant, sovereign’s head (Queen Victoria) and CJ in rectangle struck twice 972GMS, 28.5CM HIGH. Source: Peter Hughes (2011) at Sotherby’s Auctions
‘The Champion Cup’ and ‘The Good Samaritan Cup’ are held in the Colonial Decorative Arts collection of The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart.
The Good Samaritan cup
Charles Jones (1809–64) (Hobart, Tasmania)
metal (silver) 16.5 h x 9.5 w x 9.5 d cm
Presented by the Lotz Family, 2006 P2006.123
DESCRIPTION: The Good Samaritan cup
Extracted from The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
The Good Samaritan cup was presented in recognition of the benevolence of William Allison (1799–1856). Allison had taken in and cared for a recent immigrant to the colony, Mr OGL Wheatley, who had fallen ill with ‘asthmatic consumption’ shortly after taking up a position as salesman for a Hobart merchant. Although Wheatley died of consumption, despite all of Allison’s care, the members of the Hobart Town Mercantile Assistants Association (1846–55) felt that his selfless kindness should be acknowledged. The Mercantile Assistants Association was established with the twin, and related, aims of promoting early closing hours for shops and providing encouragement for the self-improvement of its members through education. They organised lectures and provided a lending library for members. The Association was a precursor to later more focussed organisations such as mechanics institutes and trade unions.
Description: A stemmed trophy cup with a tall flared bowl supported on an openwork stem of four acanthus leaves to a circular base. The lower part of the bowl has repoussé decoration of four stylised acanthus leaves, above which the surface is smooth and polished. On one side of the bowl there is an applied bas-relief panel depicting a scene with two figures; the other side is engraved. Inscriptions: Engraved: ‘Presented / to MR. W. ALLISON / For his Charity and Kindness to the late / MR. WHEATLEY / by Several Mercantile Assistants / HOBART TOWN / 1850’. Struck with hallmarks for Charles Jones: – Anchor (nominally Birmingham) – Lion passant – Sovereign’s head (Queen Victoria) – ‘CJ’ in a rectangular tablet (the maker’s initials, struck twice). A stemmed trophy cup with a tall flared bowl supported on an openwork stem of four acanthus leaves to a circular base. The lower part of the bowl has repoussé decoration of four stylised acanthus leaves, above which the surface is smooth and polished. On one side of the bowl there is an applied bas-relief panel depicting a scene with two figures; the other side is engraved.
The goblet was presented to Captain Goldsmith as a testimonial in acknowledgment of the services he rendered to floral and horticultural science in Van Diemen’s Land, by importing rare and valuable plants from England. An article in The Hobart Courier 13 December 1848 listed some of those plants, and the method of preservation over long sea voyages.
From The Hobart Courier, 14 December 1848:
IMPORTED PLANTS.- … The flora of this country has also received a great addition by the importation of some plants for Mr. F. Lipscombe in the Rattler, Captain Goldsmith. The following are in good condition :-Lilium rubrum, schimenes picta, campanula novilis, gloxinia rubra, Rollisonii, speciosa alba, and Pressleyans ; anemone japónica, lilium puctata, torenia concolor, lobelia erinus compacta, myasola (a “forget-me not”), and another new specimen of the same; cuphan mineara, weigella roses, phlox speciosa, cuphea pletycentra, lantana Drummondii and Sellowii, phloz rubra, achimines Hendersonii ; with the following camellias – Queen Victoria,- elegans, tricolor, triumphans, speciosa, Palmer’s perfection, and Reevesii. These were ail contained, with others, in one case ; they were well established in pots before packing, which has tended to their preservation. Another case contains lemon thyme, sage, and the Mammoth and Elisabeth strawberries. The same course in this instance had not been pursued; the plants were put into mould at the bottom of the case, and in almost every instance have perished. A quantity of carnations unfortunately experienced the same fate. Importers will therefore do well to impress upon their agents in England the necessity of establishing them in pots before packing. In the exportation of Van Diemen’s Land shrubs to the United Kingdom, India, and Mauritius, Mr. Lipscombe always adopts this method, and it is of rare occurrence for any specimen to be lost.
From The Hobart Courier, 14 December 1848
Norton, Charles, 1826-1872
Camellia [ Art work : 1857 ] State Library of Victoria
The craze for camellias meant enormous prices. In 1838, they fetched between 200 to 400 francs in Germany, especially “Palmer’s Perfection”:
From: The Magazine of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries …, Volume 4
Charles Mason Hovey – Gardening – 1838
The magnificent garden and view of the River Derwent from John Glover’s house, 1832.
State Library NSW
Creator: Glover, John, 1767-1849
Title: Hobart Town, taken from the garden where I lived
Date of Work: 1832
Dahlias, which originated from Central and South America between Mexico and Colombia.
Taken at the Hobart Town Hall
Photo © KLW NFC 2012 ARR
Waterman’s Dock Hobart
Half of stereo ca. 1870? unattributed
AOT Ref: NS1013-1-63