Elwick House and Elwick Bay

WILKINSON FAMILY
ALRED BOCK, THOMAS NEVIN, ALFRED WINTER
GLENORCHY ART and SCULPTURE PARK

Photo copyright © KLW NFC Imprint 2015
Formerly tribal country of the mou.he.neen.ner people, developed by John Wilkinson from the 1840s, now part of GASP, the Glenorchy Art and Sculpture Park, Hobart, Tasmania.

The photograph below is a long view of Elwick house, ca. 1867 taken by Thomas Nevin around the time of his acquisition of Bock’s studio and stock. The land today is part of the GASP project, the Glenorchy Art and Sculpture Park, once the tribal country of the mou.he.neen.ner people.

Title:Photograph “Elwick”-Glenorchy-home of John Wilkinson (panorama)
ADRI:NS1543-1-5 [T. Nevin after A. Bock?]
Source:Archives Office of Tasmania

Sarah Ann Wilkinson [?] ca. 1860
Source:Archives Office of Tasmania
ADRI: NS1543-1-11
Series:Miscellaneous Papers and Photographs of the Wilkinson Family, 1840 – 1942 (NS1543)

Possibly the work of Alfred Bock, this unattributed daguerreotype (or ambrotype) of Sarah Wilkinson was retouched in gold on her ring, belt buckle, buttons and necklace. Papers of the Wilkinson family held at the Archives Office of Tasmania include her travel writings:

NS1543/1/1
S.A. Wilkinson-Short Account of our Travels, by Sarah Ann Wilkinson, daughter of John Wilkinson, born 14 January 1834; journey from Melbourne to Liverpool – detailed description available from paper copy of lists Start Date:14 Mar 1862 End Date:07 Mar 1863.

NG1543
JOHN WILKINSON AND FAMILY
Start Date:01 Jan 1831
John Wilkinson established Wilkinson’s Dispensing, Manufacturing and Pharmaceutical Chemists in 1831 at 90 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. He was granted land at O’Briens Bridge, ( now Glenorchy) and called his farm Elwick – now the site of the Elwick Racecourse

Alfred Bock used a rarely seen blindstamp impress on this stereograph of two women and three children, members of the Wilkinson family, ca. 1860, standing outside Elwick House, Glenorchy, Tasmania. The Elwick Race Track was established on land owned by pharmacist John Wilkinson in 1875.

Title:Photograph “Elwick”-Glenorchy close view of side elevation ca. 1860
ADRI:NS1543-1-6
Source:Archives Office of Tasmania

The impress on the left panel incorporates his name and the name of the studio, The City Photographic Establishment, 140 Elizabeth Street Hobart, which Thomas J. Nevin acquired on Bock’s departure from Tasmania in 1867. Nevin devised seven different studio stamps, one closely modelled on Bock’s later verso stamp, but his blind stamp was one similar to Alfred Winter’s plain capital lettering.

Alfred Winter’s blindstamp centre inside frame
Glenorchy – Elwick Race Course 1878?
ADRI:PH5-1-12
Source:Archives Office of Tasmania
Series: Album of Photographs, 1870 (PH5)

View of Otago from  GASP, the Glenorchy Art and Sculpture Park, Hobart, Tasmania.
Photo copyright © KLW NFC Imprint 2015

This stereograph by Thomas J. Nevin of a man wearing a top hat, looking towards the photographer and with the curve of Elwick Bay behind him, was taken from a spot close to where the MONA Museum now stands.

Man in top hat with view of Elwick Bay behind
Photo by T. J. Nevin ca. 1870
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
Ref: Q16826.12. Verso below.

This is a long distance view across to the bar at Elwick Bay and to the property of John Wilkinson, Glenorchy before the Elwick Racecourse and grandstand were constructed. The view was taken from the Hull property at Tolosa, Glenorchy. One of John Wilkinson’s daughters Mary Jane married Henry Hull in December 1861.

Photo by T. J. Nevin ca. 1870
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
Ref: Q1994.56.27. Verso below.

View across to the bar at Elwick Bay  to the  property of John Wilkinson, Glenorchy 
Photo by T. J. Nevin ca. 1870
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
Ref: Q1994.56.27