TASMANIAN STEAMSHIP NAVIGATION COMPANY
SHAREHOLDERS Captain Edward Goldsmith
CAPTAIN JOHN CLINCH
The Tasmania, S. Prout Hill 1854
Courtesy of the Archives Office of Tasmania
[The Tasmanian steam navigation company boat “Tasmania” running for Hobart] / S. Prout Hill.
Author: Hill, Samuel Prout, 1821-1861, artist.
Production: [Tasmania?] : S. Prout Hill, 1854.
Physical description: 1 painting : graphite and watercolour on coloured paper ; 52 x 69 cm (work) ; 69.5 x 85.5 cm (frame).
Medium: paper graphite watercolour paint
Accession number: FA1319
Notes: Title assigned by cataloguer based on accompanying acquisitions documentation.
Signed on lower left recto: ‘S. Prout Hill, 1854’.
Framed in Huon pine wood frame with glass and slip.
Summary: The image depicts the steamship “Tasmania”, one of two vessels operating between Hobart and Melbourne, from the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company, founded in 1853. The steamship is exiting Port Philip Bay, Victoria, outracing an old sailing ship, with full steam blast, flying pennant flags of the company.
Form of work: Watercolour painting
Alternate Title: Dealer’s title: [“Tasmania” one of two vessels of the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co.]
STEAM COMMUNICATION WITH VICTORIA.
The new powerful fast-sailing and first-class steamer TASMANIA,
240 Horse Power, 502 Tons Register, W. FISHER, Commander.
Will sail for Melbourne on TUESDAY
MORNING, the 12th instant.
For freight or passage apply to
KERN, BOGLE & Co.
N B -Can take a good number of Carts and Horses
New Wharf, 1st April.
Captain John Clinch commander of the iron screw steamship Tasmania
Source: Hobart Courier Nov 25 1854
STEAM TO SYDNEY DIRECT
A Regular Trader
THE T.S.N. Company’s fine new powerful Iron Screw Steamship TASMANIA, John Clinch, commander, will leave Hobart Town for Sydney direct, and continue on the line as a Regular Trader, immediately after the completion of her repairs. Due notice of the day of starting will be given. For freight or passage apply at the Company’s Office, Old Wharf.
– Should it be found necesary, the City of Hobart will run three voyages per month to Melbourne.
C. Toby, Manager
T.S.N. Companys Office, Old Wharf
Hobart Town 21st November 1854
Captain John Clinch was a contemporary of Captain Edward Goldsmith, both sharing common ground at Rotherhithe, Surrey, where John Clinch was born in 1808, and Edward Goldsmith, born in 1804, trained as a merchant mariner at East India House before taking command of Robert Brook’s privately-owned vessels on the Australian wool trade route. Both mariners shared a concern to assist in the development of the colony of Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania) through expansion of intercolonial shipping. Captain Edward Goldsmith regularly attended shareholder meetings of the TSN Co. during 1853-1854 in Hobart which Captain John Clinch joined in 1854, taking command of their iron Tasmania on direct voyages to Sydney. He also commanded the TSN’s City of Hobart, and Southern Cross.
Captain Goldsmith departed Tasmania in 1856 to retire at Gad’s Hill, Kent, never to return. His niece, Elizabeth Rachel Day, daughter of Captain James Day – his brother-in-law, navigator and first mate on early voyages to the Australian colonies – was baptized at St. Mary’s, the Mayflower Church, at Rotherhithe in 1847 and arrived with her father Captain James Day at Hobart as a child, marrying photographer Thomas J. Nevin in 1871 at Kangaroo Valley. Wives and daughters of the mariner community in Hobart which included the Morrisons, the Bayleys, the McGregors, the Hamiltons, etc, became regular clients at her husband’s photographic studio.
Captain John Clinch 1808-1875
Thomas J. Nevin photographed Captain John Clinch on board the TSN’s City of Hobart on a day trip to Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, south of Hobart, on 31st January, 1872. Captain John Clinch, whom Nevin positioned at the centre of the image, is flanked on his right (viewers’ left), by former Premier of Victoria Sir John O’Shanassy (seated), and standing next to him by townsman John Woodcock Graves jnr; and on his left (viewers’ right), by Hobart Mayor Hon. Alfred Kennerley and the Hon. James Erskine Calder, former Surveyor-General (seated). Standing behind Captain Clinch and Alfred Kennerley is barrister R. Byron Miller.
Verso with rare Nevin label of The Colonists’ Trip to Adventure Bay
VIPs on board The City of Hobart, 31st January 1872
Stereograph in buff arched mount by Thomas J. Nevin
Private Collection KLW NFC Group copyright © KLW NFC Imprint 2015
Source: Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 – 1954), Thursday 10 June 1875, page 2
DEATH OF CAPTAIN JOHN CLINCH.
We have the sad duty today of recording the sudden death of Captain John Clinch, of the T. S. N. Co.’s steamer Southern Cross, which occurred on Tuesday, at Sydney. The first intimation of the sad event was received here yesterday morning by a telegram, dated Sydney, 8th June, 1.15 p.m., from the company’s agents. The telegram was as follows :—” We grieve to report the death of Captain Clinch. He fell on the bridge just after the steamer left the wharf. Dr. Alloway saw him within about ten minutes, and pronounced him -dead. Mr. Lewis, chief officer, is to proceed on the voyage, taking charge of the body to Hobart Town, after inquest to-morrow morning.” Another telegram was received last evening, announcing that, the Southern Cross sailed from Sydney at 2 p.m. yesterday with the remains of Captain Clinch on board, the inquest having been dispensed with. The steamer may therefore be expected here on Saturday morning. As soon as the news was made public, the captains of the various vessels in port had their ensigns and house flags lowered, as a tribute of respect to the memory of the deceased. The flags at the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company’s office, the ship chandlers, and on various flagstaffs through-out the city, were also lowered. The intelligence of the death of her husband was broken to Mrs. Clinch by the Von. Archdeacon Davies and Mr. Isaac Wright, and we need scarcely add that, not-withstanding the delicacy with which the task was discharged, the sudden and heart-rending nature of the news caused the deepest pain to be felt by the bereaved lady and family ; and seldom has a deeper gloom been spread over a whole community. The news came on the public like a thunderbolt, and a subdued tone seemed to pervade the city, and was observable in the greeting of friends. Captain John Clinch was the oldest commander sailing out of Tasmania, and in his sphere of life earned for himself a high character for integrity, trustworthiness, and amiability. He was, as an old sea-faring friend described him, “one of the best sailors that ever trod the deck of a vessel,” an opinion which will be borne out by all those who have the pleasure of knowing him. The termination of this trip was, by the arrangement of the directors, to conclude his long connection as commander in the service of the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company, for though his original resignation was with-drawn, and an application for six months leave of absence substituted and granted, it was understood he had no intention of resuming the active duties of his profession. On learning that he was about retiring from the sea the captain’s many friends here took initiatory stops for presenting him on his return from Sydney, with an address and testimonial in recognition of the esteem in which he was held by all classes of the community. Strange to relate, the illuminating and engrossing of the address was completed yesterday morning and placed in the hands of Mr. James Bett. Most of those who were intimately acquainted with the deceased during his early life in this colony having died, it has been with the utmost difficulty that we have been enabled to collect the subjoined information of his career. Capt. Clinch was born in Rotherhithe, Surrey, England, on the 1st of April, 1808, and at the time of his death was therefore 67 years of age. His father, who commanded several merchant vessels out of England, died at Jamaica 50 years ago, and in March last Captain Clinch lost his mother, who lived with him up to the time of her death. Capt. Clinch took to the sea at an early age, and after passing through the various stages of seamanship, became mate of the Neptune, which arrived here from London in 1833. After landing several passengers the vessel proceeded to Sydney. Shortly after he arrived at that port, young Clinch relinquished his connection with the Neptune and returned to Hobart Town, where he entered into the employ-ment of the late Dr. Embley, a gentleman who had vessels constantly engaged in conveying cattle from his extensive station at Twofold Bay, to HobartTown. While in this employment Captain Clinch commanded respectively the brig Britomart and barque Merope. In 1840, in conjunction with several other citizens, amongst whom were Messrs. Geo, Wilson, Tonkin, Cleburne, White, Clarke, etc., he purchased the Flying Squirrel, which he also commanded, and engaged in the traffic between Hobart Town and Melbourne, then called Port Phillip. Shortly after this people began to flock over to Port Phillip from Hobart Town, being induced to do so by the magnificent prospect held out to them of obtaining good land at cheap rates, Captain Clinch took over many who afterwards became the pioneers of Victoria, and none of them had in after life anything but a kind word for the genial skipper. The same company had afterwards built to their order the Flying Fish, and he commanded her for several years, and then had constructed, to his own order, the brigantine Swordfish (now owned by Messrs. Belbin and Dowdell, continuing in the Hobart Town and Melbourne trade. It may not be out of place to mention here a little incident which occurred while Captain Clinch was engaged in this trade. He was about starting for Hobart Town in his vessel, and accidentally met the late Mr. W. I. T. Clarke, an old friend. Captain Clinch asked Mr. Clarke to come across with him, but that gentleman stated that he had already taken passage by the Britomart, and all his luggage was on board that vessel. After considerable persuasion, the Captain induced Mr Clarke to proceed by his vessel, and sent a boat on board the Britomart and obtained the luggage. Both vessels sailed for Hobart Town, but the Britomart never arrived at her destination, and Mr. Clarke lived for many years to thank Captain Clinch. The subject of this notice left the Swordfish in 1854 for the purpose of entering the service of the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company, which had just been formed. On the 24th of July, 1854, he was, on the motion of the late Mr. Rout, appointed to the command of the pioneer of the company’s fleet of steamers — the Tasmania — which was sold several years back, and is now running between Sydney and Newcastle. He remained in the Tasmania for several years, and was then transferred to the City of Hobart, and trod the quarter-deck of that vessel until she was sold a short time ago. He also took the new steamer Tasman for a trip, and after that, and up to the time of his death, was in command of the Southern Cross. The deceased gentleman had been married twice. On the first occasion, before coming out from England. Shortly after his arrival here he sent home for Mrs, Clinch, and the couple lived very happily until she died, thirty years ago. Some years after, the captain was united to his second wife, who is now living, and the union, we need scarcely state, was a very happy one. The deceased leaves a family of nine children. The eldest son is in Queensland, the second is in the telegraph department of New South Wales, and the third is second officer of the steamer Tasman. A daughter of the deceased gentleman was married to Mr. Wright, son of Mr. Isaac Wright. The other members of the family are young and all have the warm sympathies of the people of Hobart and of all who knew Captain Clinch, than whom a warmer hearted man, a more considerate obliging and careful master of a vessel, a better citizen, a kinder husband, or a fonder parent, never breathed. Of Captain Clinch it may be truly said :—
He was a man, take him for all in all,We shall not look upon his like again.
Published in the Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 – 1954), Thursday 10 June 1875, page 2
Title: The Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company’s Screw Steam Ship ‘City of Hobart’ 618 tons (Captain John Thom) Passing Gravesend on her trial trip Feb. 23rd 1854 / J.W. Deering Del et Lith. ; Day & Son Lithrs to the Queen
Creator: Deering, John W., 1838-1923
Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.], 1854
Description: 1 print : lithograph ; sheet 44 x 61 cm. within frame
Source: Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts
TSN Co. shareholders’ meeting 1854
Shareholder William A. Guesdon
TAHO Ref: https://stors.tas.gov.au/AUTAS001136192226
Source: The Shipping Gazette and Sydney General Trade List (NSW : 1844 – 1860) Mon 23 Oct 1854 Page 204 NEWCASTLE.
TASMANIAN STEAM NAVIGATION COMPANY.
Colonial Times, October 10.
Pursuant to advertisement a special general meeting of the share holders of the above company was held yesterday, at the Royal Exchange, Macquarie-place, at twelve o’clock, for the purpose of giving authority to the directors to employ the vessels of the company in the conveyance of goods and passengers to such ports in the Australian colonies as the shareholders might deem fit. There was a full meeting, notwithstanding several of the prominent shareholders had left town to attend the steeple chase at Campbell Town. Among the gentlemen present — we noticed Captain Bentley, Messrs. Macnaughton, Cleburne, M.L.C., Ross, Hedburg, Guesdon, Facey, Captain Goldsmith, Laing, Toby, Watkins, Reeves, Graham, Captain Fisher, Alderman O’Reilly, Champion, Corry, Fitzgerald, Rout, Lipscombe, &c. Mr. Macnaughton (by unanimous desire) took the chair, and stated the object of the meeting. The directors had found that they had not, under the Act, power to send the steamer to Launceston -with government emigrants, the second clause only applying to tbe line between Hobart Town and Melbourne, and such other places as might be agreed on by a majority of the share holders present at a special meeting. The directors had taken the responsibly on themselves of sending the iron Tasmania to Launceston last week, and thence to Melbourne, relying on obtaining the sanction of the proprietary. The directors now came to them for such sanction, and also asked them to give power to act in future for the interest of the company, as circumstances might require. The government might wish to forward troops to Sydney, or elsewhere, as they had done on a previous occasion, and without such a power, the directors might lose the opportunity of profitably employing the vessels. He then read the minute of the meeting of directors of the 30th September, deciding to call the present meeting.
Mr. Guesdon inquired if it was contemplated to send one of the vessels into any other trade, which was answered by the Chairman in the negative.
The immediate object of the meeting was Then discussed, and Mr. Corry proposed the following resolution, which, being seconded by Mr. Graham, was passed unanimously : —
‘Resolved that, the directors, in the opinion of this meeting, exercised a sound discretion in sending the Tasmania to Launceston,and that the meeting do authorise the directors, at their discretion, to send the vessels of the company to all or any of tbe following ports, (that is to say), Launceston, Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, Port Albert, New Zealand, Twofold Bay, and Swan River.’
Mr. J. G, Reeves called attention to what he considered a defect in the deed of co-partnership, there being no power to sell any one of the vessels except on winding up. A discussion ensued, and several clauses were referred to but nothing decisive could be found.
Mr. Guesdon renewed the subject of altering the line, and intimated his opinion that this company should attempt the Sydney line. He therefore proposed that the directors be requested to take the matter into consideration.
The Chairman referred to the opinion be at first entertained … etc etc
Source: The Shipping Gazette and Sydney General Trade List (NSW : 1844 – 1860) Mon 23 Oct 1854 Page 204 NEWCASTLE.
Dinnerware (egg cup?) of the TSN Co.
Allport Museum and Library, Hobart
Photo © KLW NFC 2015.
Captain Goldsmith, Captain Bentley and Captain Clinch were all three residents in Davey Street, Hobart, listed in the Hobart Gazette of 1855, p. 471. Two photographers also resided in Davey St. – William Paul Dowling, an Irish chartist, who moved his portrait studio from Macquarie St Hobart, located opposite the Hutchins School, to Number 24 Davey Street, “nearly opposite the Hampden-road” on the Harrington street side of photographer Douglas Kilburn’s house at Number 22 Davey St. A little further down in the direction of Murray St and opposite St David’s Cemetery was Stewart’s Brewery, separated by a small house from Captain Edward Goldsmith’s house at Number 19 Davey St.
Hobart Town Gazette 27 March 1855
Page 470-471: Davey St residents (far right column)
Click on for large view
THE PHOTOGRAPHERS of DAVEY STREET.
Source: THE COURIER. (1854, November 9). The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 – 1859), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article2242479
THURSDAY AFTERNOON, NOVEMBER 9.
TASMANIAN CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PARIS EXPOSITION.
D. T. Kilburn, Esq., of Davey-street, exhibits five calotype views of different localities in Hobart Town. (1.) A view of Macquarie-street, from above Mr. Crisp’s residence, looking down towards the Domain, and including within range St. Joseph’s (R. C.) Church, the Cathedral of St. David’s. &c. (2.) The New Market Place, Hobart Town. (3.) St. David’s Cathedral. (4.) View of Macquarie-street, including the Bank of Australasia, Macquarie Hotel, &o. &c. (5.) View of the houses in Davey-street, opposite St. David’s Cemetery.
Douglas Kilburn’s views of the houses in Davey St. opposite the Cemetery were either retained and sold at the Paris Exposition of 1855, or misattributed to another photographer, if copies are extant, since they seem not to have surfaced in Australian public collections.
Source: The Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 – 1859) Fri 6 Oct 1854 Page 1 Classified Advertising
MR. W. P. DOWLING
Begs to inform his Friends and Pupils that he has removed his Studio to No. 24, Davey-street, nearly opposite the Hampden-road.
Davey Street Hobart, 1870s: on the left where three men are standing, is St. Mary’s Hospital; on the right, Captain Goldsmith’s two-storey house – bearing the Collegiate School name by the 1870s – facing St. David’s Cemetery (Burial Ground). Image courtesy ePrints, University of Tasmania
RELATED POSTS main weblog
- Thomas Nevin’s VIP commission 1872
- Nevin’s women clients and their dresses 1870s
- Portraits of older women by Thomas Nevin 1870s
- The Master Mariner in-laws: Captains Goldsmith, Day and Axup
- Cousins Edward Goldsmith and Elizabeth Day baptised at St Mary’s Rotherhithe
- Captain Edward Goldsmith in Davey St. Hobart 1854