Thomas Nevin took this stereograph of his sister Mary Ann Nevin (1844-1878) near the school house at Kangaroo Valley, New Town, Tasmania, ca. 1870. Pictured with her is a man in shirt sleeves and hat, and five children. She applied for assistance as a teacher to establish the school in 1865, and although the request was declined, she persisted on her own account with support from Morton Allport and her father John Nevin snr. She married mariner Captain John Carr in 1877 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Kangaroo Valley, which she used as the school house, and died in childbirth at Sandridge, Victoria, in 1878.
One of two identical stereographs held in the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery Collection
TMAG Ref: Q16826-1-2